Jewish Historical Society of North Jersey’s Photo Friday – December 2012
Click on each picture to leave a comment or correction.
“Y” Pre-teen Fashion Show: Model: Donna Roemer…. Seated: ?, Nancy Hochman, Anne Friedman, Lynn Michaels, Michael Lawrence, Jill Michaels and Diane Feitlowitz…. Background: behind Anne Freidman is Pearl Feitlowitz and pre-teen Nancy Unger
Cast of “Mordecaiz Cousin” 3/4/28 Passaic Temple Emanuel Sunday School
Brawer Affair, Preakness Hills Country Club June 2, 1959…..Standing l-r: In front of candleabra, Irving Brawer, Mrs. Brawer, Jack Segal, ?, , behind mink coat adorned mystery woman, Julian Bornstein, Rhoda Leinoff, Jack Stern, Jenny Dunkleman and Herman Yucht
Sisterhood Gathering, year and place unknown. L-r: Doris Stern, ?, Laura Goldberg, Sarah Yucht, Fanny Lesinger, Ella Berman, ?, Gertrude Segal,?, Daisy Greenberg, ?.
BONUS PHOTO: Young campers on enroute to Milford Pa. “Y” Camp. July 31, year unknown. Do you recognize anyone?
Golda Meir visits Passaic, 1948…….Golda Meir flanked by Police Officer Hy Schwartz and Jane and Michael Kanter
Rev. John Stanly Grauel who was on the crew of the famous Exodus, 1947 visits the Fair lawn Women’s Division Leaders April 5, 1973 at Congregation B’nai Israel. Sitting l-r: Blanche Blitzer, Rose Greco, Helen Sinofsky and Rev. John Stanley Grauel, a real HERO! ….Standing l-r: Nonny Schrager, Greta Adler, ? and Gloria Kustin
Eastside High School Criterion Office……..l-r: Richard Polton, Peter Levine and Jackie Kolin Pierce Ca. 1966
Harvey Shoenfeld, Director of Barnert Hospital and Movie/ TV personality Betsy Pallmer
BONUS PHOTO: Creative Rhythm Class, dance demonstration at the “Y” May 11, 1961. Do you know who any of these cuties are?
Federation: Women’s Division Leaders, October 16th, 1973…..l-r: Mrs. Joyce Silverstein, Mrs. Bernadine Mechanic, Mrs. Henrietta Newman, Mrs. Sylvia Moskow and Mrs. Ruth Kessler.
Y Confirmation Class 1958: Seated: l-r Marsha Salmanowitz, Linda ” Liz” Alson, Barbara Fisvitz, Norma Reiner, Arlene Minster Standing: l-r Bonnie Kurtz, Sonia Nussbaum, ?, Helene Aranoff, ?, ?.
UJA Inaugural Dinner,January 30 1969: left to right – Stanley Berenzweig; Charles Kessler; U.S. Senator Edmund S.Muskie; Gerrard Berman; Murray Greene
Inter-School Israel Independence Day Assembly,held April 25,1971 at Temple Emanuel, Paterson ; Foreground – Barbara Jackson,representing the YMHA;Renee Kidorf representing Temple Beth Sholom of Fair Lawn; Steven Urdang representing Community Synagogue;David Glassman representing Barnert Temple;Gary Rothstadt representing Temple Emanuel;Karen Cohen representing Bnai Israel of Fair Lawn
BONUS: Seder celebration held at Camp Merritt. The camp was located in parts of Cresskill, Dumont, Haworth and Demarest, NJ and served as an embarkation point for one million WWI U.S. Troops. Troops from Camp Merritt were sent to Hoboken before shipping off to Europe.
Members of Paterson Bnai Brith Lodge 143 and the ladies’ auxiliary stand in front of City Hall….l-r: Irving Bressler, Mrs. Isadore Strahs, Harry Schoen, Mayo Kraemer, Theodore Rosenberg, Mrs. Mayo (Annabelle) Kraemer, Mrs. Morris Rogol, M.D. Grower, Mrs. Paul Dunkelman, Leonard Marks and Sam Rosenblum.
Jazz Landers 1922: l-r: seated: Trombone player ?, Violin player Reuben Cohen, Piano player Milton Klein who years later in 1934 was a “hero of the Morro Castle disaster” and perished aboard, Banjo player ?, Drummer Meyer Cohen…..Standing l-r: Trumpet player ?, Saxophone player ?.
January 4, 1968 UJA Women’s Division: Seated l-r: Betty Kling, Dr. Helen Friedman, Mrs. Ben Gulko, Mrs. Morris Meadow, Mrs. C.J. Berkman and Martha Hochheiser Gordon…. Standing l-r: Mrs. Norman Zelnick, Mrs. Isadore Goldberg, Jenny Blake, Jennie Sall, Henrietta Goldstein, Charlotte Wichman, Sally Wichman, Mrs. Saul Mann, Florence Carr and Mrs. David Kwiat.
“Y’ Boy Scouts Troop 65 Pinewood Derby April 10, 1960……l-r: Charles Douma, ?. ? ?, Jerold Berkowitz, Marc Abo, Arthur Neufeld, ?, ? , ?,…..in rear with glasses Steven Friedman?.
BONUS PHOTO: The groundbreaking march on November 18, 1923 to the new “Y’ on Van Houten Street